Sunday 17 November 2013

Pumpkin Muffins


 
 
One of the joys of autumn is the many beautiful varieties of pumpkin.  I love them all, not to mention the fabulous tasty treats we can make with the rich sweet flesh hiding inside.  I prefer to make my own puree for a few reasons (how to make your own homemade pumpkin puree).  One, I know what's in it. Two, I don't have to worry about BPAs leeching into my food (post on BPAs). And three, it fills the house with a wonderful smell that  just screams Autumn!
 
Pumpkin muffins are a treat that my daughter looks forward to each year.  As soon as the pumpkins are cooked she knows there will be a big batch of muffins to enjoy.  These are a great 'treat' that I'm happy to send to school, full of nutritious pumpkin, dried fruit, yogurt and seeds.  I often make smaller muffins using a mini-cupcake tray, just reduce the baking time by a few minutes.  The recipe can be doubled too, and the muffins freeze well.  I like to bake a few batches and freeze them so I just have to bake once and enjoy for weeks.  Hope you like them.
 
 
 Pumpkin Muffins
 
Ingredients
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached wheat flour or gluten free all-purpose flour mix
  • 1/2 cup plain organic yogurt
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup cane sugar or coconut sugar
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup mixed organic dried fruit (bite sized pieces)
  • 1/2 cup hulled pumpkin seeds

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. In a medium sized bowl mix together the pumpkin puree, eggs, yogurt and coconut oil.
 
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.

4. Fold in the fruit and seeds. Do not over mix the batter.

     
5. Fill a buttered 12 cup muffin tin (no non-stick pans!). Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test.  Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment